Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday 2010 278 Lb Introduction!

It's Good Friday, but I'll avoid issues of cosmic sacrifice and redemption, and skip right on to why I'm writing this. This will be a diary, in which I shall detail my efforts to discipline myself, avoid drifting and wasting time and money, and try and shed some weight.

There is a long-term goal. I've been given an introductory flying lesson (something I've dreamt about for years) but I'm too fat (heavy) to do it. Hence the title of this blog thing. [Too many hences?] I have until September (I think) to get myself into some sort of shape. I'm also tired of feeling unwell, tired of straining to bend over to put my socks on, tired of being shocked at my profile every time I catch my reflection in the mirror.

Frankly, I need to make myself over, so to speak, and I don't think I'll have the discipline and the self esteem to stay even a weekend on the course without the scrutiny of my future self.

So, I'm writing this not for public consumption (who would ever read something like this?) and more for myself.

(I also want to put in some practice at getting sentences down in a coherent form. If they have a passing eloquence, or actually make sense, that'll be a bonus.)

So I weigh 278 pounds. That's 19 stone, 12 pounds - just under the dreaded 20 stone. In terms of kilos, it's a lot (I'll check when I reconnect to post this). I'm definitely officially obese, I'm quite possibly morbidly obese. But looking down at my stomach, I can't really see how fat I am. Hence my shock when I see myself in the mirror. Looking down at my body, I can fool myself into thinking that I'm just heavy, or just chubby, or just... I can lie to myself.

How I came to be like this - a fat man trapped inside an obese body - will, no doubt, form a major part of what I'll write in days to come. It'll be a diary, but I'll probably meander onto other things that strike me.

I weigh 126 kilos.

There. I've said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment